Argentina has been axed as Copa America host just 13 days before the tournament’s first game following a rise in Covid-19 infection rate.
The tournament, featuring 10 South American nations, had been due to be held in Argentina and Colombia between June 13 and July 10, the first time in its 105-year history with joint hosts.
However, Colombia was removed as co-host on May 20 after a wave of protests demanding social and economic change spread across the country and Argentina has now followed due to what CONMEBOL said was the ‘present circumstances’.
CONMEBOL did not disclose the nature of the circumstances that led to the decision but Argentina is currently experiencing a surge in COVID-19 cases.
‘CONMEBOL is analysing offers from other countries that have shown interest in hosting the continental tournament,’ it said in a short statement. ‘Updates will be announced soon.’
Officials from the organisation will meet on Monday to decide on the next steps for the tournament, which was held over from 2020 due to the pandemic.
Argentina saw COVID-19 cases grow quickly in May and prompted the government to mandate a strict new lockdown.